May 21, 2010

Snowflake Arizona Temple

Have you ever been to Snowflake, Arizona? Have you even heard of Snowflake, Arizona? I didn't think so :)

Snowflake was founded in 1878 by William Jordan Flake and Erastus Snow. They were Mormon pioneers and colonizers sent by Brigham Young.

When we drove in to town, it was unlike Monticello, and there was no temple to be seen from the main road. It was obvious however, that this town had a strong LDS presence. We counted 3 LDS churches, including an Old Rock Tabernacle building that reminded me of our Rock Church in Morgan.

Holbrook to the North, and Show Low to the South are bigger towns, but the temple was built in Snowflake and dedicated in 2002. It was built upon a hill, which is now known as Temple Hill, along the road leading west towards Phoenix. It's not an extremely tall hill, and even with directions I didn't spot it right away, but Roger with his trusty eagle eyes scoped it right out.

This hill is in the middle of a golf course, and a newer subdivision surrounds it. I think the home right below the temple is bigger than the temple itself !

I completed initiatory work for two more of my ancestors, and also two temple names. They were Spanish names, and I pronounced them really well, thanks to Landon's coaching :) Again, the workers were so accommodating with my time schedule, and I appreciated it. A funny thing that one of the sweet sisters told me about her ancestry, "I was a Frost, and I married a Flake, so now I'm a Frosted Flake!" :)

The temple as always was beautiful, with a red stone waterfall feature outside of the front entrance. I wish I would have taken a picture of it. I love the temple !

No comments:

Post a Comment