May 20, 2010

Monticello Temple

If we had a temple in Morgan, this is what I would HOPE it would be like. As we drove into the small town of Monticello, just three blocks off the main road to the right sits The Temple. The house right next door, could have been MY house. A completely normal home, not too fancy, not too big, just right.

When I entered at 4:30pm on a Thursday night, planning on a 5pm session, it was virtually empty. There was one sister sitting in the waiting area with a big smile. She directed me through the frosted windowed door to the recommend desk, where one brother glanced up with a big smile, "Welcome to the temple". I love to hear those words :)

He directed me to the right, and I followed the small discreet signs leading me to the Sister's dressing area. It was also deserted, but feeling completely at home I proceeded to change. By the time I was finished, patrons had began to arrive, and they all were so welcoming. It appeared that everyone knew everyone, had a connection, was smiling and happy, and I think this is how a temple in Morgan would function.

Three beautiful paintings covered the walls in the first ordinance room. They were set in huge frames on the two sides and back of the room, approximately 4 feet tall, by 15 feet in length, and depicting the southern Utah landscape of the area. The unique thing about these paintings were that they were set in the early morning light, before the sun was up......the colors were muted in deep shades or purple. I've never seen anything like it before. It was spectacular.

During the session I noticed a young man and his father. I was pretty sure he was a future missionary, and that this was probably only his second or third time at the temple. I spoke to him afterward in the Celestial Room, and sure enough, he has been called to serve in Brazil. I love missionaries !

The Celestial Room is on the North side of the temple, and had gorgeous stained glass windows in the colors of green. They were complimented by lamps in the room. I wish I had the verbiage and skill to describe every detail in the room. It was beautiful, peaceful, calm, safe....I felt the Spirit there.

In leaving the temple, I noticed across from the recommend desk, and through the clear and frosted windows, the baptismal font where it seemed like TONS of young people were assembled. Again, it made me think of Morgan, and OUR youth. What a wonderful opportunity and blessing and privilege it is for the people of Monticello, and the southwestern part of our state to have this temple in their midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment