March 17, 2010

BIC


I was BIC - Born in the Covenant. As a small girl, I remember looking at mom's genealogy papers and seeing BIC by my name and my brothers and sister's names. I took it for granted. My three oldest kids were not BIC, but were sealed AFTER they were born (and died in Ambure's case). I was THRILLED to finally get to put a BIC next to Landon's name.

Last night, I had the most wonderful opportunity to attend a sealing session in the Ogden Temple where some of my ancestors were joined together for time and all eternity. I have been working with these "names" for a couple of months now. First the baptism, then initiatory work, then their endowment, and finally last night, the sealings. They are from my Grandma Dickson's line, and many many have Danish names which are hard to pronounce. The names of Terstall, Gerstall, Schaling, Koosen, Renjse, Tintje, Prage.......... they are burned in my mind, and I KNOW I will meet them someday. We were able to seal grandparents to their children, and then those "children" as parents to THEIR children. It was a very special experience for me, and I felt the Spirit very strongly.

The words, "as though they had been Born In The Covenant" are the SWEETEST most TENDER words imaginable.......

Landon was planning on meeting me at the temple, but he had to work late. Brother and Sister Staples, and Brother and Sister Ralphs, and Brother and Sister Robinson came from our ward, and 2 couples from Coalville also were there. Something interesting happened concerning one of my ancestors on the Dawson line.  After he was sealed to his parents (his mother was my Grandma Tonks' first cousin), Brother Reese, from Coalville spoke up, and said, "I think I knew that man!". Sure enough, he was born in *1915, in Henefer. It is such a small world. I love the gospel, and I love Family History work.

*The policy of the church, is that you need to ask permission (from immediate family) to do someone's work who has been born less than 95 years ago.  When I completed Brother Hennefer's work (sealing to his parents), I was contacted by his grand-daughter anonymously (via non-published blog comment), who was understandably upset that his sealing to his parents had been done by someone who was not a close family member.  I feel really bad about this, and in the future will wait even longer than the 95 years required. The last thing I would want to do is hurt someone's feelings and possibly cause bad feelings towards temple work. I wish I could apologize in person, but hopefully she will check back and read this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment